Friday, May 21, 2010

SCOOBY TREATS


Back in 2003 I was hired to work on the 9th incarnation of the Scooby-doo tv series entitled, 'What's New, Scooby-Doo?'. At this time I was fortunate to meet Iwo Takamoto (Ap.29, 1925 – Jan.8, 2007), the legendary animation designer and creator of the original Scooby-doo characters. He had an office at Warner bros Animation Studio while we were in production.

Around the time we wrapped up the 13 "What's New.." episodes, I pitched an idea of updating the Scooby-Doo designs for a new series, to Scooby producer Marge Dean. In 2004, while I was working on 'Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century' @ WB, I had an opportunity to develop a couple of new design concepts for our 'New Look' Scooby-doo series pitch .

The designs above and below are some of the things I developed.

The color rendering of my BG design was by Steve Nicodemus























Well as these studio things go, we pitched the "new look" Scooby-Doo show in 2004 to the folks at WB Merchandise. A few design changes were requested, as shown by the Scooby design below.


However WB had another Scooby series in mind 'Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!'. But alas this is not the end of the story.


Luckily, in 2009 Spike Brandt & Tony Cervone, producers at Warner Bros, remembered my "New Look" Scooby designs. They were putting together a new line of Scooby-doo DVD's and chose to use my designs for their opening title sequence.



Here are some "new look" Scooby Gang attitude designs Spike & Tony requested for the DVD.

29 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. If only the folks at WB had been bold enough to go in this direction with the series. Could of been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish " fun" could be the deciding factor on choosing a new series to produce, but it's not always that kind of party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent designs Dexter, it is a shame they did not do more with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Owen Flanagan:
    These designs were also used in the opening titles of a 2nd Scooby DVD, as well. I'm not sure about it's release date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man,

    I worked on the Abracadabera Doo Titles, doing some animation and character posing. Those designed kick ass and from the moment I saw them I was interested in seeing a whole show done that way.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really attractive takes on this group. Well done! Maybe something will prevail to make the studio use them more extensively at some point--in any case, a real improvement over the originals...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Will Finn
    Personally, I really enjoy Iwo Takamoto's original designs!

    At the moment WB already has 2 different, but slightly similar, Scooby productions in the pipeline. Dan Haskett has done an amazing job continuing Takamoto's original designs for the 2010 DVD collection. The other is a new TV series 'Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated'.

    From my experience, nothing ever prevails to make a studio do anything, that's just not the way business is handled.

    To be honest I'm quite content with how everything turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have story ideas or just what the animation could look like?

      Delete
    2. Myself and our team, developed story content and design.

      Delete
  8. this new look is much better than the hanna barbera series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ j.etienne
    Personally I think it's just a different version of the original designs, not necessarily a better version. Iwo's Scooby characters have been around for over 40 yrs, that says a lot for the success of the show and his work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're right!I'll say it in another way:I PREFER your character design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very much your blog was pleasant...
    A lot of the interesting information from a life of animators. Good and kind drawings. Has much learnt about the technician of drawing of animated characters. Children very class...
    All live and real.
    I ask visit my blog and give the professional characteristic on my drawings.
    http://danmaxx.blogspot.com/
    Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this just might be the best thing i have ever seen in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous stuff as always, Dexter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dexter! I LOVE your blog! Thank you for sharing. You always draw with such exquisite lines and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I'm really digging your decidedly retro designs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these designs Dexter. Your blog is Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are sooo gooood! man you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the opening sequences to Abracadabra-Doo and Camp Scare! So happy to see your incredible designs being used in such wonderful ways! Brilliant work, Dexter! :) Thanks for sharing these with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow these drawings are great i'd like to be a manga or comic artist my self i might just put some of my drawings on my blog because of these.
    thnx!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I Love love love these so much! Thanks so much for putting these up and being such an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete